Wonderful Past

Life is about love & relationships and mad FUN: Family, friends & pets. We are embarking on a new chapter of our life; The Adoption of Our First Child!

Friday, May 19, 2006

Da Vinci Code Skepticsm - THE MOVIE ROCKS


When the Da Vinci Code first came out, I made a decision to pass on reading it. The reason I passed was because I had heard from many people that it was a book about Jesus and Marry Magdalene being married and that they had a baby. As a Christian this was very disturbing to me. I was so disgusted that I took of my logic cap and started protesting it. I was given the impression that it was a book of historical facts. I skipped articles about it, I skipped discussions about it, and I let it fall off the face of my earth. Most people who know me well, know that I love to read and I read fast. I love books and I always have. I have never been one to turn down a novel that has been recommended to me by someone who knows my reading style. Boy did I miss out on this one. All I had to do was do a little research and come to the understanding that it is FICTION.

I am not going to spoil the movie for those who have not seen it yet. I saw the preview last night and I am probably one of the first to see it in my circle of friends and family. I have to say, this movie is one of the best movies I have ever seen. It is suspenseful from the beginning and it keeps your brain moving as the characters go from place to place trying to crack the "Da Vinci Code" to find the books version of the Holy Grail. It is a movie more about this search than anything else. Tom Hanks' portrays one of his better characters with historical substance, educated and very fascinating. It was fun to see the historical banter between Hanks and Ian McKellen. You might remember Ian McKellen from a little known role as Gandalf in Lord of the Rings.

IT IS A GREAT FLICK

Basically my take on the controversy is this:

Don't see this movie or read this book to learn who Jesus really was, it is FICTION. The definition of FICTION is :

fic·tion n.
1A An imaginative creation or a pretense that does not represent actuality but has been invented.

1B The act of inventing such a creation or pretense.


2 A lie.

3A A literary work whose content is produced by the imagination and is not necessarily based on fact.

3B The category of literature comprising works of this kind, including novels and short stories.

Law. Something untrue that is intentionally represented as true by the narrator.

Please turn to the Holy Bible for your answers about who Jesus really was, and if you need to -read this book to learn about all the falsehoods that are in the book, which in turn make it a FICTION book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0785260463/102-2869370-9636154?v=glance&n=283155

7 Other Freaks Said:

At 2:16 AM, Blogger pappy said...

The next time I'm off I'll be going to watch it . Glad you didnt protest it. Like I said in my blog its only fiction

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Nicely put. As I said on someone else's blog, I really like Ursula le Guinn, but that doen't mean I accept her writing as true. Yours is only the second good revue I have read. Looking forward to making my own evaluations

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger pappy said...

OK my friend who is going to win tonight on Idol?

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

Greg, I appreciate your opinion and I understand where you are coming from, however I see this as a great opportunity to have dialogue with believers and unbelievers about what is fact and what is fiction. Seeing this movie is no different from seeing any other movie that hollywood has made. My brother refuses to see it for the same reasons you mentioned - because he knows his limitations and what can alter his belief in christ. For the record, I went with Beth who won the tickets, I did not pay a dime.


Pappy, it better be Taylor!!!! Did you vote? hmmmmm?!!!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Cindy Lee Woods said...

I totally agree with you Sarah. This book and movie are fiction.

The problem with it is it can affect the beliefs of those not grounded in the Word of God, those not sure of their faith and those who are looking for another reason to reject Christ.

But at the same time as you said it can be used as a great tool to bring about dialoge with unbelievers as well as those searching.

As Christians we can express our displeasure with the fiction in this story, the thing is it must be done in love.

When we go out and start being hateful, critical and aggressive over something it does MORE to put a bad light on Christianity. It gives those who are seeking to destroy the faith, or those using the excuse Chrsitians are hypocrites for rejecting God's love more ammunition..

After all Jesus told us His church will be known by their LOVE for one another and others. So far I have seen very little Love when it comes to defending the faith.

Are we so unsure of the power of God and of our faith we honesty see a movie having the power to defeat the Will of God?? I think Not!

 
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This whole discussion makes me sad. I don't want to go see the movie because Jesus died on the cross for my sins. That's the world's greatest sacrifice and it's deeply personal to me. I don't even want to entertain anything that would promote a bad image of Jesus.

With that said, I have found a new love for fiction and am currently reading my new great "Airport Novelist", Nicholas Sparks. He has a new book out that looks great. And it doesn't have a big debate surrounding it! :)

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger watbull said...

Man, oh, man... sensitive topic, huh? I, personally, thought that Dan Brown's book and Columbia Pictures' movie were great. I believe that most audiences are clever enough to separate fact from fiction, just as I have, and simply enjoy an interesting plot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home