Wonderful Past

Life is about love & relationships and mad FUN: Family, friends & pets. We are embarking on a new chapter of our life; The Adoption of Our First Child!

Monday, September 19, 2005

Full Potential

Life is an ever changing experience. Nothing in life is certain or set in stone. One thing I know is that sometimes we have to make uncomfortable changes in our lives to better our situation, and the situation of those we love. Some call this selfishness; I call it living to my greatest potential - the potential that God wants me to live up to.

In "98" I made a very hard to decision to leave California and move to Michigan. I left everything that was familiar to me. I ruined a very important relationship with my grandfather for a few years because of this move. He thought I was running from problems, when in fact I was running to change myself. I felt that I couldn’t do it with the influence of my family around. Not because they where a bad influence but because it was a safe environment and I never had to step outside my comfort zone to really push myself. Ruining our relationship made the move to Michigan horrible at first. My grandpa was my absolute best friend. We have everything in common. We used to talk for hours about anything and everything. He thought I was crazy for leaving. He still helped me make the move though, and now he is very grateful that he did. He realizes it was the greatest thing that I could have ever done for myself

Because I moved, I ended up married to the greatest man in the world. I started school again, and have become a completely different person. Not only has my move created amazing positive results in my own life, It did for Jason, my brother, too. Now, I am not taking any credit for the changes Jason has made in his life, but, I will say this, If Jason did not move from California and come to live with me and Matt, he would not be where he is today. The move is what opened the door for him to make the changes. He started going to a private/Christian university, became a Christian, and has a great job. Now, everyone knows the move isn't what made the changes. God is and will always be the key to personal change. But you have to want to change in order for him to help you.

God is lover of people (his children) he wants us to live a fulfilling life. If we choose not to live the life he wants for us it doesn't make us bad people, it just means we are not living to our fullest potential.

9 Other Freaks Said:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

LOL! Not only does he have great moves, but he has the talent of dancing and eating a plate of cake at the same time. Thanks Eddie I need a pick me up/reminder to make me laugh.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Ed said...

I have always liked moving to new areas. It is a good way of seeing the country and learn new things. It is also a chance to re-invent yourself by selectively telling things of your past so that they get to know you in a different light than someone who knows them all.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

Ed Abbey - I could't agree more. However, since I have been in MI my hubby and I moved 7 times in the last six years, I myself am tired of moving. Although, I just found out this weekend that we might be selling our house and moving again due to a promotion for my husband. We bought a condo last June, sold it in Dec, bought the house we are in now, and will probably be moving again in a few months.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Joubert said...

That's an inspiring story.

Yep, God helps those who help themselves.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger watbull said...

Life is, indeed, an ever-changing experience.

Sometimes, the change is physical… from simple changes, like changing our hair colors, to more complex changes, like moving away from a place that we have long-considered home. Sometimes, the change is internal… like forgiveness, understanding, and the acceptance of God into one’s life. Sometimes, the change isn’t personal, per se… like when we are affected by a change that someone else has made. Then, we have the changes that we experience when no change has been made at all. Perhaps this is the most difficult change to accept.

Sometimes, we expect a person that we love to make a change in his/her life. We expect it because we just know in our hearts that a change is exactly what he/she needs in order to better his/her situation. But, then, that person refuses to make said change. And, we are upset… maybe even crushed. Our perception changes then, doesn’t it? Maybe our attitude toward that person changes a bit. Maybe we become angry and/or frustrated with that person’s decision to not make a change.

Life is not only an ever-changing experience, but life is also an ever-learning experience. We must be allowed to make decisions that we feel are best for us, in order to live to our greatest potentials. We all make mistakes (i.e. poor decisions), but, hopefully, we learn from them. For the same reasons, we must accept the decisions that our loved ones make for themselves… whether we agree with those decisions, or not.

God most certainly expects each of us to live fulfilling lives. But, we must be allowed to judge for ourselves what God's intentions are for each one of us. We cannot allow others… even much-loved ones… to convince us that our life decisions are mistakes. If the decisions are, indeed, mistakes, they are ours to make.

*wink*

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

GPa - I will never forget you asking me that either. Nor will I ever forget the drive out here. It was the best three days I got to spend with you talking and listening to RUSH! Although I miss you every day.

BUT - Welcome to the blogging world. I have been waiting for it for awhile.

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger watbull said...

PS: I love that Jeremy Camp video that's playing right now! I'd never seen/heard him before now.

-B

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

Jeremy is my favorite, he has a sad story where he marries his high school sweetheart and she died of cancer, and he continues his ministry stronger than ever. He is SUPER HOT TOO.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

ok, I totally forgot I will do that now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home