Wonderful Past

Life is about love & relationships and mad FUN: Family, friends & pets. We are embarking on a new chapter of our life; The Adoption of Our First Child!

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Nutrition and the Lie Society Tries to get you to believe....

Today was the first day I began to see a nutritionist. Everyone who knows me, knows that I would like to lose at least 60 pds before I get pregnant. And Everyone knows by now, that this weight game for me is part hormonal and part not eating enough. Right now my body thinks I am pregnant because of the hormone imbalance, and it thinks I am starving because I am not eating enough calories through out the day. Under the supervision of my family doctor I am now seeing this nutritionist, who on the first day, told me to do the opposite of what I have been told my entire life. I am going to start blogging about this going forward, so for those of you who don't want to hear about weight loss, SORRY! For those of you who want to be in the loop as to how I am doing check back as often as you want.

To start off, this is under the supervision of my doc, but unfortunately is NOT covered by insurance, so I have to pay 50$ per hour I am with her. Her name is Renee and she is a registered dietician.

I was weighed today, and although I am not going to tell my weight I will tell you this I burn 2087 Calories a day just sitting around or sleeping. This doesn't take into consideration all the running around at work I do, walking my dogs, cleaning the house or swimming/boating on weekends etc. I eat about hmmmm, 1000 a calories a day. And I eat mostly protein (turkey, chicken, cottage cheese) My body has been in starvation mode for about 6 years now. I have to at least eat 1800 calories a day or I will never lose weight.

So to set everyone straight - for those of you on Low Carb diets, don't be surprised if you find yourself, well let's say "DUMBER" Carbs are the only type of food that your brain uses, so if you are not eating 6-11 servings a day of carbs then, you probably find yourself struggling to think.

Here are some things I learned today:
- Food is not bad
-Carbs are not bad (if trying to lose weight, then 6 servings a day should be max you have)
- Peanut butter is a protein, not a fat, and should not be thought of in terms of a fat
- A person should only eat 3-6 oz of meat a day, 3 oz in morning or lunch and 3 oz for dinner
- Cheese is considered a dairy and a protein and eliminating it from your diet is bad

So basically I am supposed to follow the food pyramid, eat 1800-2000 calories a day, eat 400 calories for breakfast, and 200 calories for a mid morning snack (which is a huge adjustment for me as I usually eat nothing until noon), and walk my dogs 30 minutes a day, with 30 minutes of strength training per week - Push ups & sit ups will suffice.

Renee gave me a note calendar to mark all the servings off during the day. Tomorrow is the first day that I start this adventure and I don't go see Renee again until 7/7.

A person should lose 1/2lb to 1lb per week. We will see how I do.

This is a very emotional thing, since I have been taught to eat no carb, low carb, non-fat my entire life.

Oh, and the best thing is, she said the ice cream is a dairy and a fat, so I can have it as long as it is 1/2 cup per serving. And I can also have any kind of nut I want, peanuts, cashews etc.

We will see how this goes. Words of encouragement are appreciated.

12 Other Freaks Said:

At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, I am really proud of you for taking this step. I had hoped this was why you said you were going to see a nutritionist. Isn't it crazy how all the health fads come & go. Now that you know what is going on you will succeed. Turned out to be a great afternoon. I will keep checking on your blog. Of course I do anyway.

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Cindy Lee Woods said...

Guess this eating thing runs in the family huh? This is very interesting and I know you will do awesome Daughter. I always knew you should be eating things like Icecream, I will amen to that one. We're all proud of ya.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Good luck with all of this! I know you will do great adhering to what your nutritionist says. Hopefully you'll enjoy this lifestyle better and be happier all around. Just keep upbeat and focuses on your goal...Babies!!! :)
If you ever need any support or just someone to talk to-don't forget about me back on the east side of the state!

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Nichan said...

Hi Sarah! I have been saying this for years. The only way to lose weight is to eat a WELL-Balanced diet and to exercise. All of the diet fads are just that...FADS. In fact, I have been telling Greg for years that he needs to eat more to burn more. As I am a person who with an incredible penchant for debate, I would like to add that I don't think that is is a lie that is propagated by society. I think most people know, especially outside of America, that eating a well balanced diet and exercising, basically taking care of yourself, is the only way to be healthy. The problem is Americans want a quick fix. They want to believe that if they eat bacon and cheese for 6 weeks they will lose weight, without suffering any of the physiological side effects that can result from cutting out entire food groups. Too much, or too little, of anything is not a good thing. Everything in moderation.

Now, that I am done with my rant...YOU GO GIRL!! I know how you have been struggling with your weight...and I would like to say that I understand but I don't think anyone really can understand. I have weight issues, but if I worked out more and ate less I wouldn't. Just like most of the people in this world, I make poor eating decisions and then I am too lazy to exercise. You, on the other hand, have the frustation of having to deal with this hormonal imbalance. Good luck my dear. We are all excited for you.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

I do believe that the media tries to get our Society to believe that Skinny is beautiful, and that the only way to be skinny is to eat the way the "stars" eat. So then society starts to beleive that in order to be important we must do as the stars do, therfore lying to themselves and others, but believing in what they say because if hollywood says it is "the way" it must be. I am not just talking about my friends and family. I am talking about my experience with three different doctors, all who never checked hormone levels in my blood or ordered MRI's to see if there was something abnormal about my pituitary glad, Even though I have the most classic symptoms of a pituitary tumor. All three of which gave me a different reason as to why I wasn't losing weight, the first was, I was taking in too many calories, which I could never see how this was possible because at the time I was eating slimfast three meals a day and maybe 2 yogurt snacks, and running anywhere from 3.5-5 miles per day for seven days a week - I never lost a pound. I know for a fact that I burnt more than 700 calories just running alone. Then comes the next Dr., who says I am not eating enough Carbs, so I increased my carb intake, result - no change. Then my favorite is about a year ago when I was first diagnosed with the tumor I I go to see a endocronologist (dr. who speciality is hormone abnormality)he tells all in the same breath that I need to do atkins , increase my fruit and veggie intake and cut carbs. Even dr.s try to get you to try fad diets. My point is, people know they should eat a balanced diet but they lie to themselves because the media and hollywood tell them what they "should" be doing in order to look like them. It is the same for the fashion industry, who says what is in" HOLLYWOOD, and our society believes that people who have money must know what they are talking about, because, if they didn't they wouldn't have money, Right? I have had more people say to me, ohm this is so in right now, and I am telling you I wouldn't dress my dogs in some of this stuff. I am one of those people that NEVER wanted to be like anyone else, I wanted to be different but I fell into the trap of, low carb, low calorie, workout thing. It is interesting to me, the things we do to ourselves even though we know what we should really be doing, this goes for everything from shoppng to much when all we want is to buy a house, or smoking when we don't want to end up with cancer, or having sex with whoever we want to feel needed, or drinking to much to drown the pain, when all we need to do is confront a problem etc. It goes on and on, but somwhere along the line, someone told us it was ok, that there was a rational reason for doing all these things.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Nichan said...

I don't think you are describing "lies" that society tries to get up to believe. I think you are talking about human nature. People often hear what they want to hear. It is up to us, as individuals to take responsibility for what we do and how we do it. "Society" at large is only as powerful as you let it be. I think much of what you are describing has nothing to do with what you are calling lies...but rather an individual's need for acceptance. As far as the doctor thing goes, it is horrible that some doctor's pointed you in the wrong direction...but again, it is up to us to take responsibility for our own health. Medicine, contrary to popular opinion, is not an exact science. This is made worse by the fact that most doctors are limited in the ability to examine an individual based on cost and insurance. I am not trying to lecture or debate one of my dearest friends...I just think you are not adequately representing the facts.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Cindy Lee Woods said...

I totally agree with you Sarah. It's something I have been saying for a long time. Now I know why Jesus calls us sheep. Sheep will follow the "leader" without a thought of who is leading them or where they may be going. We follow along with "popular" opinions whether they are dangerous or not. Whatever the most popular beleif is at the time, we, especially americans follow right along.
And we are not even willing to accept they are "lies" propagated by a certain "group" of people whom we consider influencial either because as Sarah said, they have money, because they are in the public eye or they have a PHD in their name.
Yes we as people make choices, unfortunately in most cases the choices made are based on what the "world" says and not what is true or what is right or even what is good for us.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

Oh my friend, I think you are trying to debate me, which is fine, since everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I am representing the facts, and I do believe that the media and hollywood think that the world revolves around them. All I can say is, thanks for the comment. All comments are welcome here, even if they differ from mine. However, I am not a liar and I do not misrepresent facts, I call things the way I see them.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Deborah Broadway said...

I didn't lose a lot before getting pregnant with Peyton, but I did lose 10 pounds in about 2 months. I was always taught that you can't do that .. but I simply changed the WAY I ate. These low carb diets make me furious! They are LITERALLY starving you by forcing too much protein into your body. Then you start burning muscle. One important muscle that is burned is your heart! But most people are not educated enough to know what damage they are doing to themselves.

I know you'll do great at this, as you do well at everything you do! AND I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU PREGNANT, so I wish you all the best to lose the weight right away! *grin*

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Nichan said...

Whoah....I never called you a liar...however, I do vehemently disagree with some of the comments regarding how society is to blame for decisions we make. Yes, people follow leaders...that is true throughout history. Whether the leader is a polictian, a celebrity or a parent/teacher. People follow those with great presence and the ability to communicate. I think what you and others are missing is that WE, as individuals, are responsible for what we do. We can not blame society...it all come down to the age-old cliche...if everyone else jumped off a building, would you do it to?

Love you guys...don't debate hate!

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

I don't think society is to blame, I think Society has a problem with being convinced of things because the media and hollywood glamourize it. As a result, I do think that society tries to make themselves believe things are right because those in a position of higher power say so in turn putting pressure on each other to "DO THE RIGHT THING." If a Dr. says to you "Nicole, the diet you need to be on is blah blah blah, because it has worked for so many people and your problem is this....so on and so forth" are you going to listen to him?? Most likely, because he is your Dr.

 
At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, some parts of the brain function on glucose alone, but that doesn't mean you need to get carbs to get glucous. The body converts protein to glucose.

Low-carb doesn't make anyone dumb - that statement is racist to Inuit and African tribes on meat diets.

Lastly, who cares what peanut butter is? Junk is junk, my dear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home