Wonderful Past

Life is about love & relationships and mad FUN: Family, friends & pets. We are embarking on a new chapter of our life; The Adoption of Our First Child!

Friday, June 17, 2005

The Few, The Proud, The Marines - My Friend Avery


Avery up close and personal Posted by Hello

This is going to be one of many posts where I write about my friend Avery. He is such a remarkable person, and I thank God for people like him every single day.

Avery was awarded an Air Medal for his actions while attached to Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 161 from March to April 2003 and with Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 263 while operating in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia in August 1997 and January 1998.

Avery and I met one summer at church camp. He was from Dunsmuir, and I was from Chico. I thought he was sooo cute. I remember that my bro, Jason, was desperately trying to hook us up. Jason thought Avery was AWESOME. They liked the same music, were into b-ballin, and had similar personalities. Jason went so far as to lie to Avery, so that he would think that I was 2 years older than I was. At the time I was 15 and he was 17. Jason told Avery that he was 17 (although I didn't know this until later). He also told Avery, that he and I were twins (most people know that Jason and I are exactly 1 year and 2 days apart.) However, we looked identical at the time. There was no question we were related. It was a believable lie that he told, which sucked because later I had to tell Ave that I was in fact only 15, and it made me feel like a complete jerk. Jason didn't want me to tell him becuase then he would then have to admit he was only 15. I don't think that mattered to Avery one bit. He thought Jason was cool. Anyway, I told him and it wasn't a problem anymore. I guess you could say we ended up dating for a couple months. One weekend, Jason and I went to spend the weekend with Avery in Dunsmuir. It was awesome, we went to see "So I Married an Ax Murderer" with Mike Meyers. LOL. We also got to attend a party that Avery and his two friends put together. The best memory of that is we blasted "Let the Boyz be Boyz" (can I get a shout out from anyone who remembers that song?) We also got to know Avery's friend Reavous (who was the most hyper person I think I have ever met, up until recently when Matt and I met this awesome guy Korey at my friend Amy's wedding.)

There are plenty more things I could tell you about how we got to know Avery, but the main point I want to make now is, I remember him telling me he wanted so badly to be a marine. All he wanted to do was pass the entrance exam. He would do anything to pass that exam. Shortly after that weekend we went to stay with Ave, we broke up but remained on ok terms, I think we always had the "summer church camp bond thing" going for us. We lost touch for awhile and in 2001, right after I got married, I got back in touch with him. This is when I found out, he had accomplished his goal of becoming a U.S. Marine. I have gotten to know Avery all over again, and I am so proud of him, he has been through so much. My dad was in the army and I always looked up to him for the same reasons I look up to Avery. He left us to defend this country and other countries. I want so much for the world to know what guys like my dad and Avery have done and are still doing, not for fame, but because it is the RIGHT thing to do. Soldiers firmly believe this and are willing to die for this belief. I pray for Avery everynight. I pray for his safety, his sanity and that he will be comforted. But most of all I thank GOD for putting people like Avery in my life and on this earth.

3 Other Freaks Said:

At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

first of all sarah i wanted to say thank you for the kind words. it is great to have a TRUE friend such as yourself. your post made me think of the past and i just started laughing. you are so right we thought onyx was the bomb and listened to that song over and over and over. that was a great time. i hope one day soon i will be able to finally meet your husband matt. i enjoy seeing your pictures and hearing from you. thanks again sarah for your thoughts, prayers, and kind words.
love your friend ALWAYS, avery

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Cindy Lee Woods said...

Wow, I would never have recognized Avery. I remembered him as he looked years ago when I drove you up to see him one summer Sarah. Time sure flies. I will keep him in my prayers.

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow it is good to know someone remembers Avery and myself. this is Reavous and if you can get me in touch with Avery that would be great my email address is reavous_thomas@yahoo.com thanks and i was not that hyper.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home