Wonderful Past

Life is about love & relationships and mad FUN: Family, friends & pets. We are embarking on a new chapter of our life; The Adoption of Our First Child!

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Tommy Boy & 50 First Dates, what do they have to do with each other???

So I am sure most of you have seen both of these movies. They are both on my list of favorites. Tommy Boy is on my top ten list. I love this movie. I have seen it so many times, it is probably pathetic. Anyway, in watching 50 First Dates again for like the 20th time yesterday, I realized that there is a significant tie to Tommy Boy. I guess it is subtle, because I never really noticed it before but I sure did today.

Here it is:

In 50 First Dates, Lucy (Drew Barrymore) has a head injury and has lost her short term memory after getting into a car accident one day, while picking a pineapple with her father for his birthday. Henry (Adam Sandler) falls in love with her, and starts to make videos for her everymorning so she can remember him.

The connection to Tommy Boy:

One day Henry accompanies Lucy, her father Marlin and Brother Doug to the Callahan Memory Institute to visit Dr. Keats (Dan Aykroyd - who is Ray Zalinsky in Tommy Boy). During this scene Dr. Keats tells Henry that "the Callahan Institute is funded by T.B.Callahan of Callahan Auto Parts based out of Sandusky, OH" I couldn't believe it. It was awesome! I have seen this movie more times than I can count and I never made the connection until yesterday.

Now some of you might be saying "who cares?"

I do. I love Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Chris Rock, Phil Hartman, Will Ferrel, David Spade, and anyone who was really ever a cast member of SNL, I could go on and on.

Why was Callahan even mentioned in 50 First Dates?

First off, both movies where directed by Peter Segal. Peter has also directed a few of my other favorite movies; Anger Management (Adam Sandler & Jack Nickolson), The Longest Yard (Chris Rock, Adam Sandler & Burt Reynolds) & Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (Eddie Murphy).

Second - Sandler and Akroyd ( not to mention all the SNL current and past cast members) regarded Chris Farley as a great comedian. He could have been one of the greats had his life not been cut short do to an overzealous coke habit. His comedy was very physical, kind of like Jim Carrey or Steve Martin and he was a great friend to a lot of people. David Spade still has a hard time talking about Farley. I am sure everytime they make a movie with the SNL Alum they wonder what Farley could have played in the film. Remember the Crazy -little-kid-lunch-eating bus driver he played on billy Madison??? AWESOME. It is no wonder why they mention him when they can.

This Tidbit is for those who always doubt me (for every Sandler flick that we go see) when I say "watch Allen Covert, that guy who played the Limo Driver in wedding singer is going to be in this movie somewhere, just keep your eyes open"

The Tidbit:

If you have seen 50 First Dates, then you should remember "10 Second Tom" He is the guy who can't remember anything for more than 10 seconds and is played by Allen Covert. He has been in 13 of Sandlers last 15 films and and three of Drew Barrymore's. Here is a list of the movies, and who he played.

The Longest Yard (2005) .... Referee
50 First Dates (2004) .... Ten Second Tom
Anger Management (2003) .... Andrew
Eight Crazy Nights (2002) (voice) .... Old Lady, Bus Driver & Mayor's Wife
Mr. Deeds (2002) .... Marty
Little Nicky (2000) .... Todd
Late Last Night (1999) (TV) (as Alan Coert) .... Coked Guy
Big Daddy (1999) .... Phil D'Amato
Never Been Kissed (1999) .... Roger
Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo (1999) .... Vic
The Waterboy (1998) .... Walter
The Wedding Singer (1998) .... Sammy
Bulletproof (1996) .... Detective Jones
Happy Gilmore (1996) .... Otto
Heavy Weights (1995) .... Kenny
Airheads (1994) .... Cop
Going Overboard (1989) .... Bartender... aka Babes Ahoy

This may be pointless information to some of you, but, I LOVE THESE GUYS. It just cracks me up.

25 Other Freaks Said:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

Madman - thanks for visiting.

Christina - YES. I do love it. That is the thing it was SOOOO IN YOUR FACE, yet it was in a place that was serious in the movie so you would be focused on that.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger tazdog said...

That's an awesome find...
Now I haven't seen 50 first dates, but the fact it references one of the best past movies is awesome..!!!!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

Hi Eddie, welcome and thanks for commenting. You would think i would have caught it a long time ago since I have seen both movies so many times. Now I will have to explain the Phat Bob thing, my family etc. knows nothing about my secret identity.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

"Dumb" Movies ROCK! In my opinion there is so much drama and sadness, we need to watch things that provide relief.

 
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad i'm not the only one who noticed this. thank the lord for long road trips.

 
At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just made this same connection tonight (after having watched 50 First Dates too many times to count). :O)

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The connections are awesome and I vaguely remember them and thought something was deja-vu. But after watching Tommy Boy again today, for about the 150th time, I have a question. Near the end of the movie when Farley is in the board room with Akroid they cut away to three stoners talking about the camera adding "a couple hundred pounds", the guy in the center looks like Adam Sandler (its real brief when he looks at the camera). Is it him? He is not listed in the credits and neither are the other two.

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wondered if anyone else noticed that connection. Have you also noticed that Eric Lamansoff's name was in "Click", and other Sandler movies and then He was a main character in "Grown Ups" played by Kevin James? Also one of the twins in the closing of "Jack and Jill"'s real name is Eric Lamansoff. ferf Ziamond also writes with connections like this.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love ferf Ziamond also! I see that Remembering Olsen is being remade!!!
I heard Eric Lamansoff was Adam Sandlers college roommate.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just noticed it myself and googled it and found your post. Funny! I love Tommy Boy.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol.. I just saw it right now. My 50th time watching the movie probably. I had to google to see if anyone else had seen it l. Haha

 
At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Update*
10 second Tom appears in the store scene at the checkout counter of Adam Sandler's new movie 'Blended".

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger ghettogeddy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger ghettogeddy said...

Dr Keats should be a bell ringer as well cough bulletproof. Damon Wayans plays Keats in that love.

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger Dan Fletcher said...

I saw 50 First Dates yesterday for the first time, and laughed hysterically when he said Callahan Sandusky Ohio. My girlfriend did not get the inside joke because she had never seen Tommy Boy, so I had to pause the movie and explain it to her.

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is gay

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Blended also has a connection with 50 first dates as 10 second Tom is in blended at the store.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Hoof hearted said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Hoof hearted said...

I watched 50 first days last night and when I heard the Callahan institute was named after the their beneficiary out of Sandusky Ohio. I instantly thought I'd tumor boy. I tried to explain to my daughter that the doctor was Zalinsky, Ackroyd, from Tommy boy. We love both movies.

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

50 first days is one of my favorites. Such a great, feel good flick. I used to well up during some parts of the story...

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

We live near Sandusky, so I would really like to know the connection. In Tommy Boy they drive by Prehistoric Forest which is in my home town, Marblehead.

 
At 1:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in China, and I have watched 50 first dates for dozens of times, and never noticed. It's great to know about this,thanks!

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well what about 50fd reference to Happy Gilmore? When Sandler and Rob were golfing with robs kids. The kids teed off in Happy Gilmore fashion and all of the balls landed on the green. You jackass!!! Lol. Western sizzler anyone?

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger CrazyaboutSandler said...

O wow I have never noticed he was in so many diffrent Adam Sandler movies! I love them all they are ALL true genius and very talented actors!

 
At 2:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home